Silkie Genetic Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkieCRZYness, Aug 6, 2010.

1. SilkieCRZYness

SilkieCRZYness Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I ended up having a partridge hatch out of eggs I purchased that were suppose to be buff. I have Blue, Black, Splash, Buff and now some partridge. What can I breed partridge with besides itself, anything? Also, one looks like it could be a blue partridge? How do you get blue partridge and is blue partridge ABA accepted or just regular partridge? Thanks so much

2. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Bump

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Blue partridge is not an accepted variety. There is a lengthy procedure to get any unrecognised variety or breed accepted into the standard. Minimums include 5 years and 5 breeders, then have a qualifying meet with a minimum number of all classes (cock, hen, cockerel and pullet). If there is consistency in the birds shown, and they meet the working standard, chances are that they will be accepted.

4. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Ok, I understand how they can be recognized now, I guess I wanted to know of shown, how would it be entered, which would be in a variety class for silkies right? Also how do you breed partridge? I've heard par to par and par to white? Also how does the blue get in there to make blue partridge, and how should it be bred to reproduce blue partridge? Thanks

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Are you positive its a partridge and not just a buff with lots of smut?

___________________________________________________________-

Would you be interested in an egg trade within the next couple weeks? My buffs for some of your bbs? Im NPIP.

6. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    Positive, I've never seen a chipmunk colored chick turn out to be a buff. Check it out yourself:
    [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

Yup, that's a partridge. Ive heard of partridges comming out of whites, but not out of buffs.

8. SilkieCRZYness

Jun 9, 2008
    Florida
    I never said the parents were buff, I said I purchased buff eggs and a partridge egg accidentally got in my order and I hatched it out. I understand you cannot get partridge out of buff.

9. SundownWaterfowl

Quote:Oh, okay. I understand now. [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    For showing, enter it asa Silkie, and for variety list AOV (Any Other Variety). You will need to specify the variety (Brd Blue Partridge, for example, or Non-Brd Lime Green Spangled or Brd Fuchia Barred [​IMG] ) For judging, it iwll predominantly be judged based upon type and otehr silkie characteristics, for variety, it will be based upon the judges best understanding of what that variety is. For blue partridge, it is pretty obvious--blue replaces black. For the other two examples...good luck [​IMG]

As for breeding, at some point a blue was bred to a partridge. The blue may or may not have carried Pg (it's a necessary gene for lacing, but not all blue silkies are properly laced; probably more are not than are). If it carried Pg and not Ml, then chances are blue partridge came about in the first generation. Otherwise, it may have taken a couple of generations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by