Silkie genetic question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Smoky73, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I have some very nice white silkies. Their lines go back quite a ways and always white x white so of course, I get white. Well, because the whites are so good in type, etc...and my blue/splash birds not so much. I wonder what would happen if I crossed the white male to the blue and splash hens? I have recently lost my blue silkie rooster and I have a blue cockerel, though I am not happy with his small crest and poor wattle coverage. I wish to increase the crest size and wattle coverage of my blue and splash program and thought maybe the white cockerel might help things along. Any ideas?[​IMG] What colors would I get as well?

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Probably white [​IMG] Most likely I should have said... though stray colors can pop up if you;re not sure if it;s recessive or dominate white.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I would find a great BBS roo to put over your existing flock instead of crossing the white. Try Julie (bammachicken) she has great BBS silkies and may have and extra roo or 2 for sale (She ships).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by