Silkie Genetics Breeding Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dirty Dozen, Oct 17, 2011.

1. Dirty Dozen

Dirty Dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Long Island, New York
    I breed b/b/s silkies. In the 1st batch of eggs I hatched 2 years ago I hatched a light buff hen (don't have her anymore). The eggs I bought were supposed to only be b/b/s. I now have a 6 month-old roo (probably from her). He is an off white color, with a few buff and black feathers coming from back of hen. He has a perfect comb, almost no wattles, extreme feathering of his feet. I don't name my chickens but I have named him "Fabio". He is GORGEOUS! If I want to keep him for breeding, should I keep him with my black hens to override the color? Hate to get rid of him...Thanx!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'd get rid of him if I wanted true, good BBS stock.

The "buff" color popping up is leakage from one or both of the parents carrying something unwanted. It isn't true Buff, but it isn't something you want to continue breeding into a BBS stock. If you do, you're gonna have recessive genes and/or leakage haunt you for a long time. It's how and why you got the "buff" in the first place; the original parent stock owner probably didn't know they had leakage or bred a rooster with leakage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by