Silkie genetics...crossing Silkies.

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
With my accidental cross of a Silkie Phoenix, resulting in Hiro, I have been increasingly interested in the possibility of breeding a Silkie feathered Phoenix. Here's a pic of Hiro.
hiro8weeks.jpg

So some questions.

My Hiro has Silkie feet, comb, feathered legs and beard, but has Phoenix coloring and type feathers. He/she has a crest, though it looks like a flat polish crest. If I breed Hiro back to a Silkie,
how many generations would it take to get Silkie feathering? Has anyone had success with getting other then Silkie coloring? Would the long tails hold up? Can you breed half sisters and half brothers or is that too close of a relation?
Does anyone know?????

um.. i think you should go for it - usually with humans and in breeding, mental issues are found. but with chickens i dont know what would happen. i would go for it - but thats just because i would want to see what it looked like.

What about half siblings?

I can line breed though...father to daughter and Mother to son?

I found some one on the WWW who has Silkied Seramas so hopefully they can help me out with the genetics.

Sri6MosSilkieCkl.JPEG

A Silkied Serama, I want my crosses to be fluffier, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
"If I breed Hiro back to a Silkie,
how many generations would it take to get Silkie feathering?"

You should get a percentage of silkie feathered chicks from that cross.

I've bred sibs and half-sibs with no ill effects. I wouldn't do it for more than one generation, tho.

Good luck with your crosses
smile.png

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom