silkie genetics question.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenmadnessainmind, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chickenmadnessainmind

chickenmadnessainmind Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    I have just incubated a few silkie eggs. (all from one pair)
    The rooster was a buff bearded silkie and the hen was a grey/blue bearded silkie!
    out of all the eggs i incubated the eight chicks that hatched were the same as the hen!

Just wondered why was this and also if i was to breed a buff roo for the chicks i have hatched would there offspring still be grey or would it be 50/50? Just wondered?.

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:the chick well probly have buff leakage when there older

3. chickenmadnessainmind

Feb 19, 2011
    How many strains of breeding back to a buff roo to get buff offspring?
    Thanks for your reply.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Buff is is a complicated colour, and there is more than one recipe for building buff. From experience, breeding a buff to a blue will give some buffs, some blues and some that are quite mixed. Depending on the E-alleles of each parent there are multiple combinations that you could get; presence of melanizers also makes a difference. One of George's Grand Champions was a blue pullet from a buff hen and a blue cock. From htat same pairing he also had buffs and one or two who had areas of both colours.

The wheaten E-allele will dominate asiatic partridge E-allele, unless melanizers are present, in which case asiatic partridge will dominate. Extended black will trump them all, and give black or blue offspring, but there may be leakage.

5. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Quote:thank u sonoran ur post are always so help fu;l

6. chickenmadnessainmind

Feb 19, 2011
    Quote:Thank you so much for your reply! very clear to understand.
    I think it is so interesting that breeding just for colour can be quiet complex as compaired to breeding for type, such as feathered feet...

Would breeding white to red give buff over gernerations of breeding?
    And what would the easiest way of breeding buff into a blue strain?
    Thanks again..

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Thank you so much for your reply! very clear to understand.
    I think it is so interesting that breeding just for colour can be quiet complex as compaired to breeding for type, such as feathered feet...

Would breeding white to red give buff over gernerations of breeding?
    And what would the easiest way of breeding buff into a blue strain?
    Thanks again..

First, type does not include foot feathering or its lack; type is the shape of the bird's body. RIR are shaped like a brick; modern games are shaped sort of like a heart, cochins are shaped like a ball, etc. Some breeds are very vertical, others very horizontal, others a balance between those; some are fairly heavy set, ohers quite dainty.

Next, white is an OFF switch, not a diluter. Recessive white prevents the creation of pigment; dominant white prevents pigment from entering the feathers. Dilution genes alter the chemical composition of the pigment (usually by oxidizing the pigment) and/or by limiting the amount of pigment that enters the feather.

To dilute red to buff, you need to breed in genes that dilute gold pigment: Dilute, champagne blonde, silver, lavender, etc.

8. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Honestly if you want nice buffs it is best to buy nice buff chicks or started birds or eggs.

9. chickenmadnessainmind

Feb 19, 2011
    Thanks again.
    I think your right Tereesaann24
    I just thought it might be easier crossing over colours to get 50/50
    I heard somewhere that the white holds in some colours. and when you breed white to other colours you will get white and other colours.

10. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    Quote:I can't remember who said this but it is so right. think of white as a white wash paint, you can't see what is under it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by