Silkie Genetics, Skull opening

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by HippieChick2009, Sep 17, 2009.

1. HippieChick2009

HippieChick2009 New Egg

May 1, 2009
    Georgia
    Hello, I saw something online about Silkies being the only breed that is hatched with an opening in the top of their skull. It had photos of the actual skull showing how it was formed. Part of the brain is exposed and the comb is usually located over this area. The area is vulnerable to injury from other chickens if attacked on the head. It said this usually results in paralysis of some sort, usually a twisted neck. Has anyone ever heard of this or can you verify it?
    Thanks!

2. laughingllama75

laughingllama75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    NH
    yes, silkies have a Vaulted Skull.....there for you need to be carefull not to put them in with aggressive chickens. If you look up vaulted skull, you will find all sorts of info on it. [​IMG]

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    yes that is true, showgirls and polish also have the same thing. the vault should be behind the comb. sometimes it is hard to even hatch them cause the vault is so big they get stuck in the shells preventing them from excapeing at hatch. the bigger the vault the more chances r for the bird to have problems.

here is a link to check out- http://www.personal.psu.edu/staff/l/a/lah161/research.html

if
    u click on the photo page link on there it shows polish and silkie skulls, warning graphic actual photos.
    hope that helps,
    silkie

4. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Some Silkies, not all, have the vault. Of my 6, 4 do and 2 don't.

5. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
  6. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    Thank you Julie for that. As I have never researched vaulted skulls, that provided insight that I can see being beneficial.

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Anytime Dustin.

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The standard requires the vault for polish. Technically it is called a cerebral hernia. Sometimes the skull grows to completely cover the protrusion; other times holes remain.

9. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Glad to see how her research is coming along and that she has had some response to her request for skulls a few years ago
    Here in Holland you get points taken off for breeding for vaults.
    Vault or "no" vault (I have found here that the norm lies somewhere inbetween what in U.S.A. are called "flat" heads and a "normal" vault (I personally have not had any true "flat" heads with completely closed skulls)
    I like it that my silkies can see and that their poofs dont completely obscure their vision and while the american silkies (bred for extreme vaults) are kind of pretty I do note that we have far less "crook neck" cases here and if only for that reason I prefer our european version .

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by