Silkie Gentics Question...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenmadnessainmind, Oct 4, 2011.

1. chickenmadnessainmind

chickenmadnessainmind Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    I have posted here before to ask what colour birds would i get from a pure buff roo x black/grey hen (bearded silkie's)
    After hatching out eggs from this one pair mix i ended up with seven black grey chicks [​IMG]
    18weeks on I have two roo's And Five hen's (roo have buff leackage on necks!) [​IMG]
    I really would like to get some nice colour's in there like partridge or white and buff! what colour roo will i put in with these guys to get the colour's i want!
    Also It is very hard to get bearded silkie's where i live! i can only really get non-bearded.. sooo

My questions are..
    1. What roo to buy to get the mixed colour's i want..
    2.What percentage of chick's would be non-bearded if i got one to pair with mine..

Thanks for replies.. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. chickenmadnessainmind

Feb 19, 2011
    Anyone?! tanks..

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I'm not too whoopy on the genetics of colors. But, if you want white, I would recommend that you buy a white pair. Unless you could find a dominant white silkie. I have no idea how to tell a dom white from a recessive white. I am sure there is some type of test, other than just breeding and finding out that way.

Are your black hens black with silver leakage or are they gray?

4. chickenmadnessainmind

Feb 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by