Silkie going broody I think.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3dogcp, Nov 13, 2013.

1. 3dogcp

3dogcp Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    My 7 month old Silkie won't get off her nest this morning. It's 20 degrees out. Isn't to cold to hatch chicks? Can't be more than 2 eggs under her, one of hers and a pullet egg. What should I do? I'm new at this. Should I bring her inside and put her in my Brooder box with the eggs?

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I have a broody cochin right now too. We might think its too cold, but they didn't get the memo, I guess. Past experience has told me that the only sure-fire way to break a broody is to have a 12' black rat snake break into the coop and steal the eggs out from under her. Since the snakes are hibernating right now, I am letting her sit. I gave her 4 eggs but I'm hoping only a couple make it as she still has to keep them warm through some of the coldest nights of the year and once they get too big she won't be able to cover them.

I'm letting mine stay in the coop. If I were to bring her inside, it would mess with her acclimatization to our very cold winters. Plus, then I'd have to transition the chicks back outside in the middle of winter. By letting her stay in the coop now, the chicks will be accustomed to the conditions there from the beginning.

I do recommend segregating broodies if at all possible, to keep other hens from messing with her eggs and her chicks after they've hatched. If you can cordon off a corner of the coop with some chicken wire and give her a feeder and waterer of her own, that will allow her to brood in peace, and bond to her chicks for the first few days after they hatch. Once the chicks know which of the hens is their mama, then I remove the barrier and let them out into the flock, and that always works pretty well for me.

3. 3dogcp

May 1, 2013
    Thanks for the info. Guess I just leave her there. She is in a coop that just she and a Silkie rooster shared. All the other chicken are in a different coop. One Doninique chicken always goes to her coop to lay her egg. lol Don't know why. Should I let the rooster sleep with her at night?

4. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I would leave them together for the extra warmth but keep a close eye on them at hatch time. I have never had a rooster mess with chicks but each situation is unique, so I'd watch him closely for a day or two and make sure he's going to be good with them.

5. 3dogcp

May 1, 2013
    I just picked her up and looked under her and there is only 1 egg and it's not hers. Now I don't know what to think, maybe she is just trying to lay an egg. Hope she is not egg bound. She has been laying an egg every day for 3 weeks. She didn't lay an egg yesterday. Guess I will wait and see . Hope she is all right, she is my favorite chicken. That's Porgie and Bess. I will be heart broken if ant thing happened to her. I put food and water in with her.
    [​IMG]

6. cestial225

cestial225 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    I have two broody silkys sitting on eggs right now. It is my first time wiry broody hens. I hope they do their job without my help cause they are in with the flock, and there will be no segregation for them.

7. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    She doesn't care if its her egg or not. If she's broody she will sit on anything that is vaguely egg-shaped.

8. 3dogcp

May 1, 2013
    She did lay an egg today, so she is now sitting on 2 eggs. Is there no way to stop this broodiness? What would happen if I took the eggs?

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If she is laying eggs she isn't broody. It can take them an hour or more to lay an egg. They sit in the nest and meditate for awhile, then stand up and lay the egg, then they sit there some more. You are probably seeing her going into her egglaying trance. I'd not intervene and I would go ahead and keep taking eggs away.

IF she stops laying and is on the nest constantly for a week, that is when I start thinking I can trust them with some eggs.

If you only have two silkies and the cock is her buddy I'd leave him in there. She will defend her chicks if she is a good mama, and won't if she isn't. However, I would make sure there is no way she can mistakenly get onto another nest when she does go broody. I have had that problem before...they get on the wrong nest and the eggs get cold.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  10. HEChicken

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    While this is generally true, it is not always the case. This year I had two birds go broody and then lay at least one more egg. In the case of a Sultan, she had been determinedly broody for a week so I finally gave her two Barred Rock eggs to hatch. She was sitting in a little broody coop where no other hens had access, so I didn't worry about checking her nest after giving her the eggs - I simply checked food and water every day and waited. Imagine my surprise when she hatched three chicks from the two eggs I had given her: two barred rocks and a little sultan (and I only have the one sultan hen). Yup - she laid that egg while brooding.

Later in the summer my turkey hen went broody. I had a clutch collected for her of 13 eggs, so when she started to sit, I gave her the eggs and she settled down nicely on them. It was her second time brooding and she is a great broody, leaving the nest for only brief periods to eat and drink, then rushing to return to her nest. On checking her nest during these brief broody breaks, I watched the egg count go up…and up…and up. She finally stopped when she had 20 eggs under her.

While the OP's hen may only be taking her sweet time laying her egg, being such a broody breed its not out of the question she is in the early stages of broodiness. Is she sleeping on the nest at night? On it morning, during the day and at night? Does she growl when you try to reach under her? When she is off the nest, does she run around frantically making a constant "cluck-cluck-cluck" sound? (They don't all do that but I have several who do).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by