silkie gone broody

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gapeachy, Feb 18, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    my silkie has gone broody on about 15 eggs and I dont even know if they are fertile...I have 2 and dont know if they other is male or female...I have not seen the other top her but not seen it laying an egg either....only thing that has topped her is the dominique rooster...lol....I am just going to let her set and see what happens

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

In a couple days at night go out and candle and mark the eggs. Any that are not veining just pitch. By marking the eggs you can find the new ones and just take them out. Good luck.

3. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    thank you I will do that....also I have 4 RIR eggs from a young pullet that is starting to lay...she is with a RIR roo....I put them eggs also under the silkie....will she hatch them?..

4. katrinag

She will hatch anything. Make sure you have food and water close by for her. If you can I would love to see a pic. If you do stick the other egg from the RIR you may want to remove acouple of the other ones so she does not have to many.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  5. gapeachy

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    do you want a pic of her setting on the eggs?....

6. katrinag

Sure. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by