Silkie has hatched 4 chicks, is she abandoning the remaining 11?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DrChickenKev, Oct 5, 2011.

1. DrChickenKev

DrChickenKev Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2011
    Hi all,

Possibly an obvious question for my first post.. sorry. I've had a look through and searched the forums.

Anyway, we have a beautiful white silkie, hatched 4 of her eggs over past 2 days (started Sunday evening); now she is off the nest to feed etc and her chicks follow.

I noticed about half hour ago that she was back on the remaining 11 unhatched eggs after booting two out. I picked these up thinking I should try to candle them and check (but its too light) and when I gently shake them they both feel like they have a chick inside rather than liquid, and one I heard the beak hit the wall (I'm guessing this is not good?)

I can try to make an incubator quickly although cant measure humidity.

Mum was back off the nest 5 minutes ago with her chicks scratching around at food, but has now gone back on the nest.

Wondering whether mum was feeding and the chicks followed and/or the chicks got up for some food and mum followed.

Question is what to do with the two eggs booted out and also the remaining 11 that she seems to be up and down on...?

Should I try to take the eggs off the nest tonight and candle them?

Should I try to hand incubate the twoo that seemingly were booted?

Any advice greatly appreciated

Kevin

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  2. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Take her chicks away for a while until the others hatch. and away so she cant hear them. then at night, put them with her again. then if the rest haven't hatched, take them away again. but only put them with her at night. make sure they are warm throughout the day.

3. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    Wow!

Sounds quite severe but can try, thankyou

4. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:not really, at first she will be a bit aggitated when her chicks are gone, but if the chicks in the eggs are cheeping, she will be fine. then just put them under her at night again. its like ''oooh! i got chicks!''. she will be fine. and if the rest haven't hathed. then take them away again and repeat until they have all hatched.[​IMG]

5. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    Ok, will have to try...

Chicks will need a make-shift brooder, with a heat lamp too Im guessing..

6. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:yes, a lot better than my dodgy set up when i did it![​IMG]

this is what i had:

[​IMG]

Them Today, 7 of them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    They're looking good, did you use a lamp over them to keep temp up?

8. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:that was the point of my ''dodgy'' setup. a mailing box with newspaper a towel, lid with water and some food. then sat on the cement in the sun![​IMG]
    but, for better results, use a heat lamp and a brooder. i dont have that stuff availeble.

9. DrChickenKev

Oct 5, 2011
    ok, thanks...

10. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    Quote:Anything to help...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by