Silkie has huge gash/wound on back of its neck - Pecking order went way to far

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Scooter&Suzie, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My poor little silkie right now has a HUGE deep gash on the back of her neck. I hadn't noticed it until today, I've been busy Thanksgiving and all... But I'm sure it has been there several days for it to be so bad [​IMG] I'm just killing myself right now, if I had only noticed sooner!

I have a barred Plymouth Rock, an Easter Egger, and two other silkies in that coop, all hens. I'm sure it was the Plymouth Rock, as she was the one who has been pecking all of the silkies. I took the wounded silkie, Sam, and put her in a dog carrier with food and water. I put the crate in the shed and shut the shed. I was hoping the darkness would calm her, even though she is right now very calm.

What should I do? I can hopefully go to Tractor Supply today and get medicine or any treatments for the wound. It is very deep - to the muscle, I think. Do I need to set up a lamp for heat? It has been warm for the past few days, but will soon be getting into the negatives at night, or at least the 20s.

I will gladly give you more information or pictures, just ask!

Here are some of the pictures I got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
  3. JDMcK03

JDMcK03 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2012
    I had something similar happen to one of my hens a few months ago. I trimmed the feathers near the area, then cleansed once with hydrogen peroxide. To wrap it, I used sanitary pads and Neosporin. I wrapped the pad around the neck, and used tape just to keep it on. I was able to keep her in the coop with the others. We would change the dressing daily, and she healed very quickly!

Good luck with your baby :)

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    So sorry Rachel!!! [​IMG]

5. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm very sorry this happened to your Silkie. The one thing I have learned since having Silkies along with other breeds is that you can have them with large fowl or bantams and you can have them with any other breed you want to have. The only thing is...you need to make 100% certain that every chicken who will be housed with a Silkie is a *friendly* chicken in all aspects before placing them anywhere near a Silkie. If that means putting other chicks up as bait to each other to find out which chickens are the nasties, then weeding them out, so be it. 1 peck is too much for a Silkie, particularly with their bone structure in the skull and their inclination to "roll over and take it" instead of fighting back.

Many people have tried to tell me that there will always be a "pecking order" established and this is true, but for me, my birds don't viciously peck at each other and if they do - the guilty parties can say goodbye to planet Earth. There's a difference between teaching another chicken who is boss and attacking the bejeebus out of them until they're practically decapitated. That's not establishing a pecking order, that's bullying and I for one won't tolerate it in my flock, particularly when chickens are a dime a dozen. If it were me the responsible henpecker would never see the light of day again for being responsible for a wound like that (but that's my choice and I'm not you).

I pray your Silkie recovers; that wound looks absolutely dreadful. You're doing the right thing keeping her separated and such, but if I were you I would either remove the two other Silkies who are in with that nasty BR also -- or I would get rid of the BR. That Silkie is no longer in there so chances are very likely she'll continue her nastiness on another one.

6. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    The Plymouth Rock and the Easter Egger were placed with the Silkies when the Silkies were big and the Plymouth Rock and Easter Egger were still youngish. I thought that maybe this would help, and it did for a time. The Plymouth Rock and Easter Egger were orginanly going to be put with my laying flock, but even today the big girls will make the Plymouth Rock and Easter Egger combs bleed and loose lots of feathers. So all of the hens, except for the silkies, are rough when it comes to the pecking order... My plan is to buy a coop big enough for the Plymouth Rock and Easter Egger, then everyone should be happy. Thanks for your input - I found it really helpful! Off to Craigslist I go...

7. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for all of the input! I'm going to TSC in about 20 minutes, so hopefully I can find what I will need... More information would be great, as always!

As what I am going to buy... Hopefully I can figure that all out.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  8. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, I just got back from Tractor Supply - I got some Blu-Kote to use. The man helping me had a duck with a similar wound on the neck and he used Blu-Kote and his duck is better now. He said they are very hardy, so Sam (my Silkie) has a good chance of getting better. Now maybe after I treat Sam I can relax after a stressful panic attack and watch Chicken Run... [​IMG] I'll see how it goes, anymore information will be treated like the purest gold!

9. joelman7

joelman7 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2012
    it dosent really look like a pecking order because its deep and wide and if you hadent noticed it for a couple of days it could of been a preadator pos a pic of all your chickens and the wound again pls

10. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

That's awesome that he was so helpful with you and shared his experience with blu-kote on his duck...I don't meet many clerks or reps that are that hospitable at stores. I hope the Blu-Kote helps your little one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by