Silkie has lost her voice???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Litleburgs, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Litleburgs

Litleburgs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2012

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When a chicken loses their voice, it can be aspergillosis, an infection from mold in the environment. Hoarseness however, may be from a respiratory disease or just because of the cold weather. Infectious bronchitis, mycopasma galiisepticum (MG or CRD,) and ILT, infectious coryza are 4 common ones. With coryza there usually is a bad odor around the head, and with ILT there is usually bloody mucus from the nose and mouth. The others can have watery eyes, sneeze, nasal drainage, and swelling of the eye or face. Here is some info on those diseases:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
    http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/disfungi.htm

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. Litleburgs

Jul 12, 2012
    Dear Eggcessive-

I cannot thank you enough for your reply- it is nice to know that this has happened to other chickens (well, i don't mean it that way- just nice to know someone is knowledgeable regarding the issue)- I am going to print out your explanation, as I am taking her to the vet on Wednesday...just incase the vet doesn't know as much as you do! :) I really appreciate you taking the time to help me. There is no runny discharge, she looks completely normal, etc.- just hope they can help her, because I haven't succeeded yet.

Again, I SO appreciate your response- you are very helpful and thoughtful!

Sincerely, Mollie

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I am glad that you are able to take to a vet. So many of us don't have vets that will see chickens. I hope that they can find out what is wrong with her.

5. Litleburgs

Jul 12, 2012
    Hello Eggcessive!

Just wanted to send you the good news... it looks like Loretta is going to make it! I am not sure if what she has, is what you mentioned in technical terms above, however, the vet ran blood tests, fecal exam, and several other tests, etc.- and in terms i do understand, she, more or less, has a yeast infection of her crop. Is that what you might have mentioned above? It all sounds rather technical, so I am not sure if what she has, is related to what you mentioned. She was put on an antibiotic and i should see improvement in her voice soon! I hope he is correct and I just thought i would pass along to you because you were so nice to help me out the other day- and I thank you for that!! I hope you are well! :) Thanks again! Mollie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by