Silkie has no feathers on it's legs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by araucanasmom, Feb 21, 2009.

1. araucanasmom

araucanasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    Does that ever happen naturally?
    Not having much luck in the Silkie dept.-lost 2 babies with tiny skulls, 1 has bent foot, 1 crossed beak and 1 no feathers on legs and feet. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Good thing they have those powers....[​IMG] [​IMG] lol!
    I got a refund for them from Ideal, but what causes this? Should I even try breeding them? [​IMG]

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    yep.. sometimes happen from very low quality flock.... still make a good pet and probably easier to keep clean..

3. shortcake1806

shortcake1806 Sassy McSassington

Sep 11, 2007
    If he has no feathers he's not bred to the standard. I personally wouldn't use him for breeding. For good quality silkies I'd try some of the sellers on here and hatch my own.

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Coming from Ideal, you can't expect to get anything much higher than pet quality. Lack of foot feathering is common in hatchery stock, as well as several other DQs and defects.

5. BoiseBubba

BoiseBubba Serama Psycho

Feb 11, 2009
    Boise, ID
    Cull 'em...................nuf said

6. araucanasmom

araucanasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2008
    Southern NJ
    These are strictly pets, not gonna cull them!
    I was just wondering if all the defects are genetic and if I let them breed which will be passed on.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Quote:yes. it will be passed on.

8. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    Quote:Yes it will be passed on.

9. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    If you aren't planning on showing them, keep them as your pets. They are great setters. You can put most any egg under them and they will accept it. I started with hatchery chicks but learned quickly if I wanted to show, I had to get good quality stock from breeders. I still keep some of my original stock but keep them separated from my breeder stock. My granddaughter would be so dissapointed if something ever happened to Snowball which is a hatchery silkie that I first started with. She is beautiful but would be DQ'd in a show. They are so sweet that I can't cull them. There are alot of people out there that just want Silkies for pets. I personally had to invest to get the stock I wanted and will only breed those silkies together. It pays off...I got RB & RV at the Florida Sunshine Classic this year.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by