Silkie hatch along

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Egg 17, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I am going to be getting some silkie hatching fertile eggs soon I haven't order them yet but I will be hatching some silkie chickens here when I get the eggs I already have an incubator as that is why I am getting some of these to hatch my eggs when I do hatch chicks so i welcome anyone who wants to come listen about the hatch I will post pics and let you no when I order the eggs and when I receive them I will also be selling any roosters but maybe one silkie rooster so if anyone will be interested in those if I end up with any let me know and I can set it up to have them shipped to you as I can not pay for shipping so let's come a hatch so silkie chicks as this is my first silkie hatch anyone is welcome please feel free to ask any questions about the eggs the chicks or even the rooster but i will not be shipping or selling the rooster until it's warm out or until I am absolutely positive they are roosters thanks lets hatch some chicks!!![​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Bryam

Bryam Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Silkies are an excellent breed of chicken. Roosters are always hard to rehome. Enjoy the hatching process!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  3. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I seen this guy on YouTube that only has silkies so maybe he will want one or something as he has lots of breeding pens

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Best of luck on your upcoming hatch! Silkies are SO much fun. I've been breeding Silkies and Sizzles for more than a few years now and loved them so much that I sold off pretty much all of my other breeds to focus on them. I only kept 5 hens of other breeds so we could have eggs for eating.

I might join in on your Silkie HAL, not sure yet though. I've been hatching steadily since the beginning of this year and I've already got about 35 chicks of various ages running around in my brooders (I do still have one empty brooder though, hmmm)! But, I have been waffling about doing one more hatch before I start in again in the Spring. We'll see!

Again, good luck!

Oh, by the way, are you NPIP certified? If not, you may want to come up with a back up plan for how you'll rehome those roosters. If you aren't NPIP, you can't ship live birds (some states also prohibit shipping eggs in or out without certification).

5. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    No I'm not npip certified as I would like to be how old do you have to be to do that

6. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Thanks

7. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'm not sure if there's an age limit. If you're a minor, and there is some kind of age requirement, I'm sure the certification could be done in your parents name.

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Ya I also heard that silkies had a lot of problems that could happen to them when they hatch is that true if so I dont really want them

9. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Alright so there has been a change of plans instead of hatching them my self i am just going to order them from cackle hatcherie but I will post pics when they get here there should be 15 chicks as if I don't get 15 I have to pay an extra 20 dollars because of not ordering the required number of chicks so I should be getting 15 but we'll have to see what my dad says

10. howfunkyisurchicken

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Nope, they hatch just fine for me! Chicks would probably be better though, especially if you were going to have your eggs shipped. I haven't ordered chickens from Cackle, but I have gotten guineas from them. They all arrived healthy and full of spunk.
    Good luck, let us know what dad says!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by