SIlkie hatched eggs, chicks died, can I give her other chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by livingshel, Nov 19, 2015.

1. livingshel

livingshel Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2015
    My lovely Silkie chook hatched 5 eggs. She has been raising them for a week. Today I came home to find all chicks dead :( My kids were devastated. I think the other chook in the pen stopped them reaching the water and it was a hot day. I have three other one week old chicks that were being raised without a hen. Can I give them to her? Will she accept them or will she miss the other chicks?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    It's a maybe. Do the chicks look the same? Appearance seems to play a part in a hen recognizing her chicks. If you try this, put the chicks under her at night if it's a no-go during the day time. It is more likely the chicks will not accept the hen as they have had no mother for a week so watch/check them carefully. I'd try this first during the day time. You will know immediately if the chicks will accept her. Usually the hen will not hurt the chicks even if she doesn't accept them.

3. Naser

Naser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2014
    Ireland
    You should isolate the hen and her chicks, if you do the same you will get the same

4. livingshel

Nov 19, 2015
    Thanks for the replies the hen seems not fussed either way by the chicks. They slept under her. However the chicks don't seem to get that they are meant to go under her to keep warm. They are isolated together. I'm home today so I'll keep an eye on them

5. livingshel

Nov 19, 2015
    And yes I do realised will have to seperate them. I'm not that silly that I would let the same thing happen again

6. livingshel

Nov 19, 2015
    So far the hen seems not too fussed about the chicks. She is happy to stay with them but she isn't actively mothering them. The chicks don't seem to understand they are meant to sit under her. I keep putting the under the hen.

7. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

8. livingshel

Nov 19, 2015
    I think all is well. The chicks are running in and out from under her now. I think they have figured it out. The hen seems happy enough. I'll leave them alone to bond

9. nchls school

Apr 22, 2015

That is great. I was sure the problem of acceptance would be more the chicks than the hen.

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The problem that you are encountering is that you are looking at the problem as a human problem. Chickens are not humans and they never will behave like a human. It is crazy to expect that they will act human. The problem is that you are unable to communicate how you expect the hen or the chicks to act. Even if you could speak poultry it still would not matter, hens and chicks have an inbred response to each other and unless they bond from the first second, the chances are that they never will. .

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by