Silkie hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by henroo, Oct 24, 2016.

1. henroo

henroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2014
    Hey everyone... So here's my problem. I had a broody Japanese bantam like 1 month ago. So I let her sit on fake eggs for a little bit before giving her 6 silkie eggs. The incubation process went just fine without any problem. So 2 days ago was day 21 and the eggs started hatching. Till now I got 3 chicks and 1 pipped egg but the chick died inside the shell. So forward to today there's still 2 eggs to hatch as today is day 21 for them. I did replace 2 eggs after candling the eggs in day3 of incubation. So the hen got out of the nest box today and start caring for the chicks and left the 2 eggs for maybe 2 hours. I have another broody silkie that is sitting on fake eggs so I gave her the 2 eggs and see if they hatch. So do you guys think that they'll hatch. This hatch was very important for me because I lost a high quality silkie to a predator and I put some of her eggs to hatch. I already lost 1 chick. Any advise is appreciated.

2. caw555

caw555 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    New Zealand
    The eggs might have cooled down to much but there's still a good chance that they will hatch.[​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]sending good hatching vibes your way [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Broody hens often get excited about the first chicks to hatch and forget(??) about the other eggs - especially if your eggs would started at the same time/staggered hatch

5. henroo

henroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2014
    Thanks to the both of you. Good news is that a fourth egg has pipped and started to hatch. Now just hoping that the last hatch too. But now another question arises. Should I slip the 2 chick under the original mother after they hatch? I don't want 2 hens to do the work of one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by