Silkie head feathers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, Oct 9, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    My silkies are 10 weeks. Can I tie back their head feathers with a little hair tie?????????

2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I don't know, but your question made me think of a little white toy poodle, just back from the groomer, with a bow in her hair.

I do know that some people trim silkie's feathers to keep them out of their eyes.

3. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    If you do you have GOT to take pics for us...

4. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:[​IMG]

I don't want to trim them, but I saw a big packet of terry cloth mini multi colored hair ties at the family dollar store and I am thinking I should pick up a pack.

They just can't see much of anything it seems. But I don't want to trim them. At times I would like to have a full poof on top.

Yeah maybe if I buy some doggy sweaters the neighbors will think I got some white poodles. heheheeh

5. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    [​IMG] And you could put it on a leash...You'd really get some looks...You could say oh yeah it's the new fad, Silkie Poodles. [​IMG]

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    At the last show we were at, they had some of the silkies with bandage tape, holding the crests out of their eyes, sure beats the heck out of plucking them..
    I came home and tried it with our girl with the huge crest and it actually stays in really well.keeps it all neat and tidy out of her face so she can see!
    Oh, and just because it was brought up.. My DH calls the silkies -Poodle chicken..
    as is " that's not a REAL chicken, that's a Poodle chicken.."

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I think that would work better but not be quite as pretty. [​IMG]

I will get both and see what happens because I hate to see them out in the lawn stumbling around or just standing in one spot because they can't see. Heaven forbid a Hawk came along.!!!!!

9. tpflabs

tpflabs Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Metamora, Illinois
    The trick is to make sure you attach the tape to the tape, and not the feathers..That is the hard part!!

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    yeas that would hurt wouldn't it? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by