Silkie head injury

KarLee A

In the Brooder
Jan 14, 2022
My silkie has a head injury that so far I'm assuming us due to some bullying. If someone knows if it's something else please help me. I don't know what the protruding piece of flesh is on the top and it is now bleeding. I'm not sure how to treat it. I have some chicken peepers I can use if it's bullying but never had an injury like this. Thank you for your help in advance!
IMG_20220114_085143.jpg

Hi, can you please get a closer pic?
Isolate the bird and treat it as usual - clean & disinfect the wound with soap and water, apply a topical ointment like Neosporin or Veterycin. Once it is healed, you may want to try Blu-Kote until the feathers grow back (the blue color deters pecking).
Is there a single bird doing the bullying?

Hi, can you please get a closer pic?
Isolate the bird and treat it as usual - clean & disinfect the wound with soap and water, apply a topical ointment like Neosporin or Veterycin. Once it is healed, you may want to try Blu-Kote until the feathers grow back (the blue color deters pecking).
Is there a single bird doing the bullying?
Thanks for your response! I've been watching them and can't see any of them actually picking on her. She's acting normal around all the other birds too. I'm wondering if it could be an injury or problem from something else?

Looks like an already healing injury with maybe some pus underneath?
Is there a bad odor?

I would clean the wound well with Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) then apply triple antibiotic ointment into the wound. The piece sticking up looks like dried scab or skin to me, hard to tell. I would leave it, it will likely continue to dry up and fall off.

Does she have any lice/mites?
It would be good to see her face more clearly, can you post some more photos of both sides of her head/face and her whole body?

It's an odd bit of tissue for a wound. As @Wyorp Rock said, it should dry up and fall off if this is wound related. Continue to treat it as a wound, keeping it cleaned of bacteria and keep moist with antibacterial ointment.

I have a suspicion that this may be a squamous cancer. We'll find out after a week or so. If it is cancerous, the tissue will not dry up and fall off. It will continue to grow instead. Your mention of it bleeding is what causes me to believe it may be a tumor. https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/squamous-cell-carcinoma-

Back
Top Bottom