Silkie heads and show quality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by totallytang, Jun 11, 2011.

1. totallytang

totallytang Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2011
    nj
    Okay so all the silkies I have ever had were ones I bought as older pullets or cockerels at shows… but recently I hatched some of my own as well as getting some from hatchery. The day old hatchery chicks had flat heads my chicks each had a large lump on their head. Now mine already have nice little head poofs but the hatchery chicks do not as of yet. Why is this? And yes I know people say the quality is not as good on hatchery chicks I just want to see how that will turn out. But my real question is why do mine have very round heads and the hatchery chicks do not? Will this affect them when they get older? Also mine have a few more wing feathers and much better balance than the hatchery chicks. The hatchery chicks are fluffier than mine so far but they have flat puff less heads… which is better fluffy chicks with flat heads or round heads and faster wing development? i have no clue...

[​IMG]

hatchery chicks

[​IMG]

parent of mine

[​IMG]

my chicks

2. chickendales

chickendales Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    because the hatchery chick might never get nice top knots

3. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  4. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    silkies are to have as lil non sillkies feathers as posible

5. chickendales

Feb 24, 2011
    Michigan
    qualityqualityqualityqualityqualityquality

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    The non hatchery Silkies were intentionally bred to have fuller beards and poof. Same goes for the cushions and feet. In other words a lot of planning and work went in to producing the nicer birds you have. Where all they did with the hatchery birds is put two Silkies together to get fertile eggs without regard to their over all appearance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by