Silkie Height

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SweetLilRachy00, Dec 6, 2007.

1. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    How tall with Silkies get? I just got two chicks. I was thinking of just keeping them in the house (Sounds crazy, I know) but I want to see if they will be tall enough for my kitty to leave them alone...

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They'll be just tall enough, but will probably look so unlike a bird the cat will be afraid of them. [​IMG]

PS: You aren't the only one that keeps chickens in houses, that's why someone invented chicken diapers! [​IMG]

3. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    You are asking a Leopard to change his spots -

Many times cats try to play with birds not within an intent or desire to kill but they can- Silkies do not fly well enough to escape both the cat and the Silkies are being put in a situation which can end badly- If you keep them caged in the house in a manner which will keep them safe it works -
    Not only silkies but other breeds I have kept inside when they have an issue or health problem but they are kept in an area that the cat is not able to get in-

4. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    So what about when I want them outside??? Do I need to monitor them? My other chickens I don't pay attention to much, just make sure they stay out of the road.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I guess I have been blessed. I have not had a problem between my chickens and my cats. Currently my silkies are outside in a pen with other chickens and are holding their own. I've had them free range, while I was home, and they stick pretty close to the pen. It wouldn't take much of a fence to keep them contained because they can't fly.

Does your cat try to attack your other chickens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by