Silkie help please, not sure which is rooster.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by JAMIEZ71, Jan 16, 2014.

1. JAMIEZ71

JAMIEZ71 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Can anyone tell me which of these are a rooster? I hear one crow but before I get to the window he has stopped. He also doesn't seem to crow when I'm outside anywhere at all as my big rooster will. I got an egg from one of them the other day but not sure which. The brown one has been picking on the yellow one lately by pecking at its head. They seem to strut in front of each other a lot when they are roaming in the yard. The guy that gave them to me thought the brown one was the rooster. The yellow silkie seems to stand more upright though. I've only gotten the one egg 5 days ago. They are approximately 7 months old. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have close ups of their comb? It would help a lot. :)

3. JAMIEZ71

JAMIEZ71 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2013
    I actually answered my own question this evening. Brown one is finally getting spurs. No sign of them on yellow one. Thanks.

4. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

He's probably a rooster then, though sometimes hens will have spurs too.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The brown one, which appears to be partridge, is the boy. Its pretty hard to tell from the pic, bit I see alot of red there. I know you've already figured him for the boy, but for future reference, in most cases partridge can be feather sexed. Females are a demure shade of brown, and in Silkies their wing feathers usually show penciling (I say usually because depending on how shredded they are you might not be able to tell). The roosters are flashy, leaking lots of mahogany or sometimes orange or yellow. They typically have black patches and don't show the penciling because of that.

Silkies are very hard to sex young, and there can always be that one female that is redder that she should be or that one male who is super girly (which is good, since Silkie roosters are more feminine than most).

They're adorable, good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by