Silkie help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Swissmiss989, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Hi!
    I have 6 silkies 2 of which are boys (they have large combs & crow) the others I think are hens. All of mine are about 7 months old. So im guessing I would know by now if I had another roo since 2 are very distinct. (right?)

Thats what I think, so please correct me if I'm wrong lol.

Also my hens will be 8 months on 11/25/11 and I still don't have any eggs from them! Normal?

My roos fight on occasion and the hens seem to get involved, is that usual?

Also my white roo puts his wing out and walks/dances around what I think is a hen whats up with that?

[​IMG] so many questions I know but silkies are my love and I'm fairly new to raising them

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  2. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    yes, by now you should be able to tell them apart but there's always the chance that one could fool you. It's normal for silkie pullets to not lay by 8 months. Yes, hens can get involved in squabbles when the roos do. And finally, when your roo puts his wing down like that and kinda shuffles over towards the hen it's his little way of saying 'hey I like you'

3. Swissmiss989

Swissmiss989 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Lol ok I was getting worried. I was like oh crap I have a lot of roos if no eggs and lots of fights [​IMG]
    How long does it usually take for silkies to lay?

4. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    they are notorious for being late layers. usually between 8-12 months

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by