Silkie help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FluffyPuff, Apr 1, 2015.

1. FluffyPuff

FluffyPuff Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm getting silkie chicks (I'm extremely excited) and was wondering if there's anything I should know. I'm a chicken lover with some experience but I've never had a silkie before! Please enlighten me! I'm also going to to need to know about the seasons....temperature ranges for them would be helpful. I realize I could probably find these things on google but I figured its best to get the answers straight from experienced silkie owners. Thanks and have a great day! :)

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    I'm sure you'll really enjoy silkies. What color do you plan on getting? Silkies should have five toes on each foot, soft down like feathers, bluish black skin and bones, turquoise ear lobes, crest, and if it's a bearded silkie it should have muffs and a beard. I have found most of the silkies I owned to be quite docile and easy to handle. Silkies are more prone to marek's disease than some breeds of chickens, do I know why? Not really. As they age I found that they had more vent problems and in order to prevent mites or pasting I wash mine as soon as they get dirty in that area. Out of our entire farm my silkie is the only bird to get mites.
    On a more positive notes they make great pets, are awesome at brooding, and for show they are a great investment.

3. FluffyPuff

I just got my silkies an hour ago. One of them has standard skin Colour.... But all the other attributes of a silkie. How do I know if they've got a vent problem? None of my chickens have ever had that. Also how can you diagnose mareks? Can they get that when they are adults too (I know chicks can get it)?

4. FluffyPuff

Mine look very healthy, but now I'm a little worried about what they are prone to.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    They are no more fragile than any other breed of chicken. If they get pasty butt, wash it off. They are no more likely to get Marek's either, and that isn't anything you have to worry about yet.

6. JBraz21

JBraz21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2015
    Corvallis, OR
    Hello ya'll, I have a 7 week old silkie and i have just noticed her doing this twitching, shaking head thing when she is trying to sleep. She eats and drinks and has lots of energy but this head thing has me a little bit worried? Any ideas on what or why this is happening?

I have attached a video of her doing it: http://youtu.be/G3jslUDqxNw

7. FluffyPuff

That doesn't look too good...try rinsing her off with warm water. Kind of like a mini bath. Make sure you dry her with a clean paper towel and make sure the water isn't hot. Remember she's more sensitive than you so test the temperature with your pinky. Usually when they shake their heads something is itching them but other times something more serious is happening. I would first rule out the simple things before you panic. How long has she been doing this?

8. JBraz21

JBraz21 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2015
    Corvallis, OR

She always had a little shake in her head but I've noticed more this past week when she is snuggling with me. Her ears and eyes are clean and normal so I question just putting her on antibiotics. Her fur is coming in so I think that giving her a warm bath is a great start

9. FluffyPuff

I have two black silkies that look just like her! Fuzzy and blackie.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by