1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Silkie Hen Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kyrose, Nov 6, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Hello,i have a silkie hen that i noticed was doing alot of sleeping out in the run.So i thought i should bring her in to keep an eye on her.She looks like she is inhaling through her break and looks like shes having trouble getting a breth.i listened to her chest and it sounds fine.her crop isnt totally empty but its not full either.no smell,i havent seen her poo yet.she get real upset when i grab her to pick her up.shes usually not like that.ive had to treat 2 of my birds for a respitory thing and thought i heard her sneeze a few times,but now i dont see her sneezing.no liquid coming out of her nose,etc.i dont want to give her an antibiotic til i have an idea what it could be.any help would be greatly appreciated.emily is a very sweet bird and i dont want to loose her.oh yea,she eats flockraiser and has grit and oyster shell on the side.the only thing ive been doing different is adding 1/8 tsp. per gal. of oxine in the water.
    thanks for any help...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by