silkie hen acting strange

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tinkymoe, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Tinkymoe

Tinkymoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Hi --

I am still a newbie - my hens have not laid yet and are about "that age". I have one silkie who last week started sitting more and then I noticed she was sleeping away from the other two silkies -- they used to all sleep in a pile -- but has been eating and drinking fine. They used to roam around together but she tends to stay in one place now (near the food and water) and the others don't go far but they will explore a little. The only thing I noticed is her poop seems a little smaller in size but I don't know if that is because she is eating less or there is an obstruction of some kind. I keep the coop scooped and based on where they sleep (her sleeping a few feet away from the rest) I know it is hers.

Today, my husband said she was running around the coop squawking the loudest he has ever heard her and jumping. He put her in the coop and closed the door and she settled down but then had another episode knocking over the water and food in the coop (small feeder - waterer).

When I got home, I found her sitting quietly -- I looked everywhere for eggs and did not find any. I picked her up and checked her vent (looks normal), felt along her abdomen to feel for an egg (don't think I felt anything abnormal), checked for mites/lice (none), her abdomen is the same temp as the rest of her, she is not panting, ears/eyes/nose normal. She was swiping at some of the sand/scratch I put down and made some, just a couple, cooing noises.

I think she may be ready to lay but want to help her if she needs it. Does this sound like a silkie getting ready to lay or a sick hen?

Thanks for you input!

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Sounds like she's getting ready to lay.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by