silkie hen, and sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Billy-jean, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Billy-jean

Billy-jean Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Hi all,,
    I have a pair of silkies I would like to breed only once or twice to aquire more hens. (roo's I will find homes for)
    The hen is 1 year old,,and has laid a nest of 5 eggs,,and I have NO clue as of what to expect. Can someone with this experience with silkies
    or similar breeds please explain to me the process of the laying,sitting and all the info i need to make sure she's well on her way to raising chicks?
    I have never done this before, and have no experience with having a hen go broody and hatch out babies. I want to make sure it's all done right!
    Thanks in advance! any info or experiences told would be awesome!!!

[​IMG]

2. renovationmom

renovationmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Texas Hill Country
    I am no expert, but I do raise silkies. Most hens will know what to do. I make sure my hens get out to eat, so I will go as far as placing treats right in the nest box with my hens, and water close by. Some will say to isolate your sitting hen from the rest of the flock, so she has her own water and food, other hens do not get into her nest, and the baby chicks will be safe when hatched.

I do not know when(at what age) to introduce mama and babies back into the coop, I hope someone else will help out.

I have one large coop, and Roosters, Hens, sitting Hens and baby chicks are all together. The baby chicks are excepted with no problem. I do have some problems you would expect, other hens laying eggs in sitting hens nest, babies climbing in sitting hens nest at night to sleep, Roosters waiting by the nest box to greet mama when she sneaks a snack. I carefully check the nest daily, for fresh eggs(I have hatching dates marked in China crayon on eggs) and I keep the nesting material clean/fresh. Mama uses my time in her nest to have a treat, so my mama's never mind the intrusion.

Also, when the babies hatch, be sure to remove any unhatched eggs on the third day, so mama will not stay sitting on her eggs, and not take care of the new babies(she will protect them, take them out for food and water(make sure the babies can reach the food and water, and put marbles in the water so they do not fall in).

I hope this helps you.

3. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    wonderful info,,thanks! I only have the 2 ,, so there are no other hens laying at all,,just them and the large
    coop to themselves. I wanted more but never found any,,therefore decided to let this pair breed. They were suppose
    to be 2 hens,,turned out they were a male and female! lol .. she sits on her eggs at nighttime,,is this ok?? Is this going to do any harm
    to the development?also,,will she stop laying weh she is ready to brood completely? should I remove any new eggs she lays? she only has 5 in there,
    and she's been on them on and off...
    thanks so much for your help!!
    ps,,I am IN LOVE with the silkie breed.. **sigh [​IMG]

4. chicken farmer 1997

chicken farmer 1997 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    if she only sits on the eggs at night they will rot so you will probley not have any chicks. [​IMG]

5. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    [​IMG]
    ok,,i figured something would go wrong,,so now what??
    should I remove them from the nest, and try again another time?? are they able to sit on the nest,,and leave for a while,
    like taking a walk around outside?? Sorry for all the questions![​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2011
  6. chicken farmer 1997

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    if i was you i would take the eggs out of the nest and then let her do here stuff

7. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    ok,,this am she won't get off the nest,she seems protective as well,won't let me go too close, when I can usually
    touch her with no problem. perhaps she started sitting on them for real last night?
    Should I leave her alone now and see ??

8. chicken farmer 1997

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    i would take her eggs and put about a dozen eggs from another chicken under her. just reach under her, she will probly peck, strach, and "bite" you but u should be ok. then see if she sits on then all day and all nite.

9. Billy-jean

Jun 13, 2011
    I don't have any other chickens [​IMG] so I left her alone,,she's been on the nest all day..
    keeping my fingers crossed [​IMG]

10. chicken farmer 1997

Jun 26, 2011
    lewis county ky
    ok. did u take her eggs and let her lay other eggs or leave her alone?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by