Silkie hen broody again...is it too late in the year?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bearz, Jul 30, 2008.

1. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    OK, this silkie just loves making babies but I've had the roosters cooped up so she doesnt' have any fertile eggs. My FIL has some fertile brown standard leghorn eggs. Think I should slip half a dozen of them under her?

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Well, if you want more chickens go ahead. I have some silkie eggs comming this week, they wouldnt hatch till around August 24th. I dont think its too late.

3. bearz

bearz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Yes, I do want more standard brown leghorns. I had my FIL bring up 3 eggs tonight...2 SBLs and another silkie. I have 2 adult silkie roos and at least 1 of the 2 baby silkes is, I think, a roo because he is fighting the other chicks. I'm pretty sure the last one is a hen.

SO, what do I do with all these silkie roos? I really want hens for hatching next year so I don't have to incubate and the black skin freaks me out.

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I don' think it's to late.. i have 4 broody banty hens and plus i'm getting a boat load of eggs in the mail next week [​IMG]

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It mostly depends on the winter weather where you live and what kind of housing you will have for them.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    naww it aint tool ate. i just ordered more scovy eggs after the first ones died right before hatching and those take 35 days to hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by