Silkie Hen doesn't have good aim when eating

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
My new silkie hen Oprah doesn't seem to be able to see very well. I trimmed back some of her feathers around her eyes, but she still has to jab several times to pick up a spaghetti noodle or something.

And if she grabs, say a noodle, and walks away with it and drops it, she won't even bend over to pick it up, she just walks back to the plate to peck for more.

If, on the rare chance she does peck at something she has dropped, she takes several pecks before she grabs it.

She can see in general, as if I let her out to free range she watches me go in the cage to pour food and she comes running back in after me and immediately starts pecking at the plate.

Before haircut:
Aug082629LR.jpg

I have a crossed beak Silkie that has a hard time finding the food. I only feed him a soft meal though. I keep his feathers cut back from his eyes.
The other Silkies do not seem to have as much trouble so I figured it was because the cross beak just had to "scoop" up the food but it may be due to other things as well.
I am new to Silkies, only got them this year. I'm still learning a lot about them.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom