Silkie Hen Doing A Strange Thing Worried She's Hurt/Sick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CKSilkies, Jan 22, 2012.

1. CKSilkies

CKSilkies New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    Anaheim, CA
    Hi,

New member but have read many posts from the forums that have been helpful. Can't find anything to help with this problem. I have two silkie hens as pets. They are about 5 months old and just started laying this past Christmas eve. Everything has been going well but about a week ago one of the hens started doing this thing where she suddenly and randomly pitches forward towards the floor, spreads her wings (seemingly for balance) and lets out a short sqawk. She also seems to be standing tilted forward with her head closer to the floor and her tail in the air much more often than she ever used to. She is eating, laying, and acting normally otherwise (besides being less vocal than she used to be pre-laying). My other hen is acting completely normal.
    I'm worried that she gets a sudden pain that causes her to do this and maybe has discomfort that causes her to stand that way. Anyone have any similar experience or advice? Thanks!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds to me like your silkie thinks you are a roo and she's squatting so she can be bred!!!

3. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Second that! She's squatting to be bred would be my opinion.

4. bluestar.ranch

bluestar.ranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Belville Tx
    yep she is in love with you LOL

5. CKSilkies

CKSilkies New Egg

Jan 22, 2012
    Anaheim, CA
    Aww, so sweet! Thanks for your replies. It makes me feel better knowing that she's most likely not hurting. Hope she's not too disappointed though, no mating going on here. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by