Silkie hen has green feces, won't use right leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SilkieLuigi, Feb 11, 2017.

1. SilkieLuigi

SilkieLuigi Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    I've never posted here before but I'm very worried about one of my silkie hens. She has always been a very active and happy hen, but over the past few weeks she hasn't been moving around at all and she seems very sick. She has green poop and her right leg is always fully stretched out in front of her like it's broken or something, but she doesn't seem to have any breaks and doesn't seem to have any pain in it. I've still very new to taking care of chickens and I don't know what might be causing this or what to do but I really don't want to lose her. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on with her? I'm very worried. She's a splash silkie hen and she's a little under a year old.

Edit: She didnt end up making it :(

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's disease when she was a chick? It sounds to me like she probably has Marek's disease, which, unfortunately, is a typically-fatal, relatively-common disease. The most common symptoms of Marek's are leg/wing paralysis and wasting away, but other symptoms can include tumors and misshapen pupils. Silkies tend to be very susceptible to Marek's disease, and just under a year of age is a prime time to turn up with symptoms.

Some people appear to have success trying to treat Marek's disease with homeopathic remedies, like St. Johns Wort, colloidal silver, turmeric, etc. However, I've tried those treatments myself in the past on a few birds with no success. Still, if you want to save your hen, it wouldn't hurt to try. I would make sure she is in a clean, warm place with plenty of feed and water in easy reach. Put some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in her water (or use infant Polyvisol vitamins), too, just in case her symptoms are related to a vitamin deficiency.

Good luck with her.

3. SilkieLuigi

SilkieLuigi Just Hatched

May 22, 2016
    I don't believe she has been vaccinated for it unfortunately. Thank you for the information, hopefully I can figure out where to get some possible remedies and see if I can save her. She's so sweet and I hate seeing her suffer :( I haven't had very good luck with my silkies lately (lost about 10 or so in the past 6 months or so to something similar to this and I had no idea what was going on) and Marek's disease might very well be what's been taking them from me. I haven't had anything pop up in the past few months so I thought whatever it was had ran its course, and I was wrong.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by