Silkie hen laid first eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by australorpchick, Feb 26, 2009.

1. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    We're so proud of our little silkie hen, Snowflake, she laid her first eggs! [​IMG] We went to visit the chickens yesterday and my husband called me over because there were a lot of eggs. There were four large eggs and three itty-bitty eggs. I was just about to lecture my two australorps about these measly eggs, when I realized they were silkie eggs. She laid three in three days. They're light beige and about the size of a half-dollar. We decided to let her keep them and see what she does.

2. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Congratulations.

I don't think she will set on them as she is just at point of lay. Broodiness takes a little time.

3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Not from what I've heard. Some people have had their silkies go broody after only a WEEK of laying. I do recall one person even having their silkie go broody after laying only one egg...

4. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    are they fertilized?? If not, you should bring 'em in and eat 'em!!!

5. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    I've heard people say a silkie goes broody after it lays an egg

6. australorpchick

australorpchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Canyon Lake, TX
    I'm not sure if they're fertilized. I've never looked. We always eat the australorps' eggs. This will be the first time we let them keep any eggs. How soon can you tell? If Snowflake doesn't go broody, I'm hoping one of my australorp girls will.

P.S. - She laid another egg today. She's on a roll!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by