silkie hen layed first egg. she won't stop cryin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockycreeker, Jan 3, 2015.

1. rockycreeker

rockycreeker New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    My 5 month old silkie hen layed her first egg this morning. It had blood on it. I know this can be normal. But she has not stopped cryin for about an hour. All the other chickens are raising hell like they know something is wrong. I so mucmuch dont want to loose her. But I have no idea about whst to do. When I say cryin its like a squeak. That's what she does when she wants my attention. Please - what can I do?

2. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    How bloody is it? Have you checked for mites as they leave scabs sometimes and when the hen goes to lay the eggs those scabs pop and blood gets on the egg.

3. rockycreeker

rockycreeker New Egg

Sep 27, 2014

4. rockycreeker

rockycreeker New Egg

Sep 27, 2014
    Thank you for this. I checked her a few days ago. But I will get someone to help me check her again in morning. It could be that she is worn down. She has been in a coop with a young rooster past few week. I have her in my house In a large box tonite. She seems ok except for the fact that she is not crying for her rooster like she normally would be. Maybe she is just enjoying her break! Lol! I will check her for mites asap tomorrow. Thank you again. I get nervous with the slightest change in my Silkies behavior. I've had one die right in front of me. He was 7 weeks old. He had shown no signs of anything wrong! After that I started educ ating myself on diseases, sudden death etc. I had no idea about the sudden death thing. I'm kinda glad I didn't know before I got my chicks.I don't think I would have gotten chickens if I had known. Just because of not wanting to deal with loss. My chicks are so precious to me!! I will just do the best I can!

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not trying to be funny or disrespectful, but could she be doing the egg song? The other chickens could be chiming in as well. A small streak of blood on the egg of new layers can be fairly common. I hope she is not in distress.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by