Silkie hen laying a normal egg and soft shell egg in same day ?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bbailey1, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Bbailey1

Bbailey1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    Silkie hen laying a perfect egg in the AM, then later that same evening she'll drop a soft shell egg from the roost ?!?! Is this something I should worry about? [​IMG] I believe this has been going on for a few months now and finally I was a witness to this twice in a week.

My hens have free choice oyster shells and vitamins in their water and a balanced food ration. Any suggestions ?! [​IMG]

thanks in advance for any suggestions !

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    It sounds like she has a glitch in her reproductive system causing her ovaries to release 2 yolks a day instead of 1. The first yolk gets to become a complete egg and the second is skipping the shell formation stage. There isn't much you can do about that unfortunately. I'd just keep an eye on her in case the shell less eggs cause any problems, but as long as she's passing them it's good. How old is she and how long has she been laying?

3. Bbailey1

Bbailey1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2014
    British Columbia, Canada
    thank you for your reply!

she is a just over a year old and seems very healthy otherwise. I didn't think there was anything i could do about it but just thought i would seek advice ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by