Silkie hen laying eggs please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by derricknapril, Sep 19, 2009.

1. derricknapril

derricknapril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    I have a 4 Silkie hens that have been laying since Tuesday. They will sit on them for a little bit and then leave for a while. Can you tell me what I should do. They are in the same coop, and my hens are hard to tell apart to isolate one with the eggs, I don't want to isolate the wrong one. I am new and this is my first batch. Thanks so much

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

There just on an off the nest. There not trying to hatch. Go in after dark (assuming they are roosting) an see if one is asleep on the nest? When that happens she is most likely trying to sit an hatch.

3. derricknapril

derricknapril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    I have noticed they are all still roosting at night on their usual place and noone is on the nest at night. Will it be ok to leave the eggs in and they will eventually start sitting?? Like I said I am new and somewhat lost.... Thanks for your help

4. MiniBeesKnees

MiniBeesKnees Chillin' With My Peeps

I did that with an OE hen...left her eggs to collect in the nest for almost two weeks before she started sitting on those seven eggs. Eventually she hatched five chicks (two eggs were duds I think) and all of them lived. They are six and a half weeks old now.

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

With silkies one should start setting for ya at some point, eggs or no eggs.
    I would put golf balls in the nest an collect the eggs. When one starts sitting put the 6 or so freshest under her an block her off. Any egg over a week old I eat or feed back to the hens. Fridge not needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by