Silkie hen mom will not bring her chicks in coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by thinlizzy, Nov 26, 2013.

1. thinlizzy

thinlizzy New Egg

Nov 26, 2013
    Gettysburg pa
    Hi everyone! I'm new on here and in need of advice. My silkie since hatching 9 of her eggs refuses to take them inside the coop. They are one week old and it seemed fine until the weather dropped to 20° And is raining and sleeting. I placed a container with hate inside of it outside of the coop but she won't go in that either to get out of the elements. Does anyone know why sent she had her chicks she won't go in the chicken coop? Thank you ahead of time

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] A lot of the time it is about ease of access. It is very difficult for chicks to get into a raised coop. The concept of using a ramp just seems to evade them. Sometimes a couple will go in and the others stay outside calling to mom. If she is a god mother, she then goes outside to them. The easier it is to get into the coop, the more likely the hen will take her chicks inside. Good luck at resolving this. We are in for a stretch of really miserable weather the next two days.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! What Sourland said. Also, do you have other chickens? Is she one of the low hens in the pecking order (silkies often are) she may be afraid to go in the coop because one or more of the other hens is causing problems for her or with the chicks. Or if she hatched the chicks somewhere outside the coop, sometimes they will go back to the nesting area to sleep. Either way, If you can, you might want to section off a place for her in the coop and put her and the chicks in it so they get used to being in the coop again.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome!

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

I would also recommend keeping them in a separate inside area until the chicks are older.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    congratulations - a brood of 9 chicks is very good. I think mama is afraid the other chickens will harm her chicks- that does happen often enough to be a big risk factor.

7. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    :welcome Glad to have you join us!! If you are really worried about them, you can always set up a simple brooder somewhere away from the other chickens, and keep the mom and her chicks in that until the babies are older. I do this when my girls hatch chicks, because it keeps them safer from weather and the other chickens.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by