Silkie hen nestles/sleeps under rooster !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MissBuggock, Nov 3, 2014.

1. MissBuggock

MissBuggock New Egg

Mar 12, 2013
    My silkie rooster stands above his mate as she sleeps underneath him, with her head under his butt! It's cute but it's odd especially because I haven't found anything on the internet on this. Anyone else find their chickens sleeping
    Like this ?

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't have any birds that sleep like that currently, but a few years ago, I had a White Wyandotte bantam pair that did the exact same thing. The hen would burrow beneath the cock, who stood up in a half-crouching position, and the two of them slept like that all night.

1 person likes this.
  3. katetolentino

katetolentino New Egg

Mar 16, 2013
    My Partridge Orpington hen does the same thing. I'm trying to get them to roost, but I'm not sure how successful I will be.

4. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    I have hens that put their wings over each other's shoulders when it gets cold at night. They don't do it at the moment though, as we are coming into Summer and the nights are hot. They currently sleep spread out across the roost as if they're saying "Ah, it's too hot! Get away from me!"

I'd love to see a picture of the hen who snuggles under the rooster's butt though.

- Krista

5. silkymom

silkymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2009
    the silkie roo i had would take chicks from the broody mom that hatched to many to cover and sleep with her and chicks under him but never have seen him cover her, hmm, good guy id say,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by