Silkie Hen not laying since July

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FishMtFarm, Jan 4, 2017.

1. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    Hello all. I am very new to silkie chickens and have a question about egg laying. I have a gen I bought in July and she layed an egg on her way to my house right after I bought her. She has not layed another egg since. A few weeks after I go there she went thru a heavy molt but everything grew back and she is as healthy as a horse. I was told she is a year and a half but all I can think is maybe she is a lot older and has stopped laying because of age. All my other hens are laying and she isn't broody. She actually is super quiet and slow moving. Just very chill and loves to be held. I wormed her in the fall, I feed 16% organic pellets with some calf manna mixed in. Also offer 16% layer crumbles and grit. I give vitamins in the water from time to time and they get dried meal worms and bread as treats. Since it has been so long you think there is any chance she will lay again, maybe in spring or is she just done? She's a keeper not matter what but I really wanted babies from her to retain so am a bit bummed about that. Any thoughts?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    From July to now is quite a while, but given the molt maybe not so unusual. Most silkies are not prolific layers. Once the day length increases hopefully she will lay a clutch and go broody. Have you checked her for worms and external parasites?

3. FishMtFarm

FishMtFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2017
    Lake Pleasant, NY
    I wormed her with valbazen in the fall with everyone else and she has no mites or other critters living on her. She has been bathed a couple times cause she is so heavily feathered she gets poopy butt. I'm hoping warmer weather and longer daylight will get her going again. She's just a beautiful sweet bird and would love to have babies from her. I have a chick that came with her that is somehow related that has that same sweet temperament and heavy feathering so would be nice to keep passing that on. Thank you for your input.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by