Silkie hen not sitting on eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Silkie Keeper 7, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Silkie Keeper 7

Silkie Keeper 7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    So I know silkies are broody and all but my hen has layed 5 eggs and she's not sitting on them. They're fertilised because I also have a rooster with her. Would the reason of her not sitting on the eggs be that she is inexperienced and Im thinking that if I get another hen but more experienced with hatching eggs do you guys think that my original hen would copy what that other hen is doing?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Broodiness is hormonal and can kick in any time, or never. Silkies are more prone to broodiness than the average breed, so chances are your hen will go broody at some point, but give her time [​IMG] What you can do to encourage her is to leave some eggs in the nest for her, mark them so you know which are fresh and which are bait, so you can give her fresher eggs to hatch for you when the hormones kick in.

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Yep, if she's only laid 5 eggs, she still just getting into the swing of things. Give her time and she'll likely go broody.
    I have 2 broodies right now, a Silkie and a Cochin. They just do it when they feel like it :)

4. Silkie Keeper 7

Silkie Keeper 7 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Ok thanks for the replies. Hopefully she will lay some more eggs and become broody then in the next month or so I could have some silkie chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by