Silkie hen on day old chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cargbrock, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Cargbrock

Cargbrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    West Tennessee
    I brought one of my silkie hens inside and put her in a crate... I let her sit in there for a bit to get used to it... She and the chicks in the brooder were "talking" to each other... after a while I took my two one day old chicks out of the brooder and put them in there with her... They didn't want to have anything to do with her at first, so I turned of the lights, hoping that they would go to her for warmth... They did. Both crawled right up under her... The hen is just sitting there... If she's letting them crawl under her, does this mean she's accepting them? Or should she be doing something else? She stuck her head under her (she didn't peck at anything) and I don't know if she was adjusting them, or looking at them, or what. She doesn't seem to have a problem with them being under her... Is she just upset that I took her away from the others, or is she actually going to be a momma? She wasn't broody in the first place (None of the hens are... I just picked her because she was the sweetest.), but I heard that you can put silkies on just about anything and they'll take to it... She's young too... Maybe 8 months... The chicks momma is a silkie, but I'm not sure which one... They could be hers in the first place... I don't think she'd know that though.

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I can't help, though I hope it works out. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by