Silkie Hen or Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by muscovy94, Dec 30, 2008.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone in the spring I will be getting some very important eggs and I need to see what yall think. I just bought a brand new Hovabator Genesis, but I also have silkie hens. who would yall trust more to hatch them? Hovabator or silkie?

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Silkie.

That said, its hard to time it right to get the eggs to arrive right when the hen goes broody.

I also have a genesis, I took a chance last time and got eggs mailed BEFORE anyone was broody, I got guinea eggs. After a week or so in the bator, I got to spread out the eggs between TWO broody chickens (BO and a D'Uccle). I just got real lucky - and I had a great hatch 70%.

3. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:Do I need to seperate the broody hens from the rest of the flock? Because the last time I let my OEGB hatch their own eggs the other members of the flock ended up killing them.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Hmmmmmmmmmm,
    I didn't separate my hens.

I did have to make a cage around the one nest box so the others would stop laying eggs in there.
    I made it big enough that I could put a dish of water and food in there with her.
    Once the chicks were around 3 days old, I took the cage thing off as mom wanted to take her babies out.

5. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:so let me ask you a question. say you had to pay like a million dollars for some really rare chicken eggs. and remember, they costed a million dollars, would you give them to the silkie or the 'bator?

6. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Bator!!!!

ETA: I had a silkie decide to join the flock with less than a week to go on the eggs she was on [​IMG] Then i also had them push the eggs away and choose other eggs she wanted to sit on more than the ones i wanted to hatch. I would put them back and she kept pushing them away.
    So thats why i said bator [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:so let me ask you a question. say you had to pay like a million dollars for some really rare chicken eggs. and remember, they costed a million dollars, would you give them to the silkie or the 'bator?

[​IMG] I'd separate the hen for sure, and I'd put half in the bator, half under the hen.

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    BUT if I could afford to buy those in the first place, I'd be in Hawaii anyway so I wouldn't be takin care of a bator [​IMG]

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you have a broody silkie, the silkie hands down. The is no way you can beat a brooky silkie. I assume you are talking about some BCM
    eggs, which I just hatched in a bator with 100% hatch, I would do the next patch with a silkie. They are more reliable for my money. But it has to be a good broody hen.

10. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Quote:well I dont know how reliable they would be. I hatched them early summer so they havent started laying or doing anything yet.
    Would you still reccommend them even though they are so young?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by