Silkie Hen Or Roo Please Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Mrsfoote, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    So today my silkie was eating and our almost 17 week old booted bantie roo came up and started hoping around her and "kicking" at her then my silkie "kicked" back but then started rubbing against my roo I was told they believed her to be a pullet she has no wattles and blue little things by her cheeks? Is she possibly a he or is this something that they might do if he is trying to mount her? they were all raised together....I've seen a few of my other pullets do this to each other but was just wondering or is this part of the pecking order cuz my silkie is the most mellow of them all.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Ethel saying....why hello there
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]:fl

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    how old is the silkie?

3. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    silkies are really hard to tell, I am not sure. I think pullet but I am new to this and I am no expert, just a guess.

4. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    I would say a roo. A pullet would have a more globular crest and it would be much fuller. I find that roos get there crests later than the hens. Most roos dont even have waddles or big combs.

5. DeAnna314

DeAnna314 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Fayetteville, NC
    Im not an expert but I have done alot of reading about silkies since I have my first 3. I would say its a pullet because of the tail feathers that curve down and the feathers on the head are more rounded.

6. suburbanminifarm

suburbanminifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    N.San Diego County
    My son and I think it's a pullet.

7. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Girl....

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    Im not an expert but I have done alot of reading about silkies since I have my first 3. I would say its a pullet because of the tail feathers that curve down and the feathers on the head are more rounded.

hahaha I dont see any rounded crests feathers on it at all lol You cant go by tail feathers with silkies either I find. You will just have to wait for it to crow or lay an egg I guess! hahahaha Good luck with s(he)!​

9. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    She is 17 weeks old and does have a pretty rounded chest she was squatting down in that pic but she waddles around like a little ball

10. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    I guess cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by