Silkie, hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by binza1979, Oct 8, 2012.

1. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    This is Cinder. S/He is about 4.5 months . Any ideas on gender? S/he is bigger than my other silkie the same age and has a bigger, redder comb and waddles (my other silkie is bearded, so no waddles to compare to). I did get my silkies from different sources, so they are slightly different ages. S/he hasn't crowed, so I am at a total loss!

2. chews chooks

chews chooks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2012
    northhampton
    pretty shur youv described a roo ul only know for shur if crows [​IMG]

3. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

dont know much about silkies but i read this on another site hope it helps but from what you posted sounds like a boy

Sexing juvenile silkies is complicated, because you can't easily see the shape of the feathers, the comb is often hidden under the crest, and wattles are not evident in most bearded silkies. Our experts vent sex (with 90% accuracy) when the babies are a day old, but for the rest of us--and even for silkie breeders--juvenile silkies are especially hard to sex. However, there are a few telltale signs that may help you discern what you have:
    • Generally the puffy crests on the hens' heads are rounder, while the roosters may have long streamers coming from theirs.
      • Sometimes males will have slightly shinier feathers.
        • If they are non-bearded Silkies, the wattles will be larger in males. (Bearded Silkies of both sexes are lacking substantial wattles.)
          • In both types of silkies, the males' comb will be larger. (A silkie's comb is called a "walnut" comb for its shape. Instead of being red like most chicken combs, it is usually a color described as "mulberry.")
            • Roosters will generally be bolder in their behavior, and often friendlier to humans when they are young. (Hens generally "catch up" in the friendliness category after they begin laying, while roosters usually get more stand-offish as they get older.)
              • If you have more than one rooster, they may "chest bump" and assert themselves with each other. However, hens will do this, too--just not as often.
                • If you have mixed hens and roosters, the roosters usually begin to grow larger more quickly than the hens, so hens may be slightly smaller after a few weeks

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    that is 10000000000000% cockerel pullets willl not have that big of a comb or wattles nor will they be "red" (technally mulberry since they are black skined birds) at this age.

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I also have several non bearded silkies. With wattles and a comb that size at that age, there's no doubt that your bird is a rooster.

6. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    That is a little roo for sure!

7. 100% roo

8. binza1979

binza1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Utah
    After watching him, I have decided that Cinder is male. Thanks for all your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by