Silkie hen or Roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sillychicks123, Oct 8, 2013.

1. sillychicks123

sillychicks123 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    I am really worried that my silkie hen may be a Roo because my last three chickens were, even though they were supposed to come sexed from the hatchery [​IMG] Anyways, she is 4 months old and hasn't crowed or tried to crow, and is a very quiet, calm chicken, I also haven't seen any red in her face develop, but for some reason her feathers make me nervous. Do these feathers look normal for a silkie hen to have?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thoughts? Thanks!!!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sometimes Silkie hens will have combs that turn red as well. Do you have a picture of the comb?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  3. bantygirl

bantygirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    Beautiful bird, how old , does it have saddle feathers or wispy feathers on the head it doesn't look like it has either, looks like a hen too me,

4. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    Sorry but I dont:/ Ill try to get some tomorrow thanks!

5. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    It's 4 months at the moment, but so far I haven't noticed any. Thank goodness though! I hope she is really a she and not a he!!

6. bantygirl

bantygirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    Well she is a beautiful bird keep looking for the saddle feathers I have silkies my white one is a roo about 6 mths has the wisps and red comb getting big and seeing saddle feathers, they r great birds

7. sillychicks123

Jun 11, 2013
    They are! I love my silkie and I am getting her three 8 week old babies to keep her company on saturday since all her friends turned out to be Roos! And tips on how to introduce them? Do you think she will take to them well? She is a very social bird and loves to be around other chickens, but my other chicken doesnt like to be around her! Lol she isnt aggressive, she just likes to be independent and on her own.

8. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

This might help:
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/04/when-to-move-chicks-from-brooder-to.html

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

She looks like a pullet since I don't see streamers.

10. CaCO3

CaCO3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    Hartford County, CT

Looks like a girl to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by