Silkie hen or rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by William1hens, Mar 20, 2015.

1. William1hens

William1hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    Last month I bought 2 White silkies.They are now about 4 or 5 months old.I was told that they are hens but I now have my doubts.One is nearly twice the size of the other and the bigger one has lots of long,skinny feathers sticking out from its head.
    The other day I saw it spreading out its feathers for a split second beside the other silkie like my other Roos do in a mating dance.It makes a loud bocking noise as well.
    I also saw them having some sort of stand off where they stood up really tall,the feathers on their necks stood up and they stared at each other for about 2 minutes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any advise greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They both look rather roosterish to me.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

4. 303hunter

303hunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I thought I had a silkie hen- until it crowed! Best natured chicken I've ever seen, my 9 year old daughter totes him around like a puppy.

5. SilkieNation

SilkieNation Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    I agree - they both look "roosterish" to me too. Hens have the pom pom butt and a more compact and rounded form and they definitely don't crow!

6. SilkieNation

SilkieNation Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Rhode Island
    I'll also say that my silkie roo is my fav.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Cockerels.

8. William1hens

William1hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks for the replies.I don't know what I'm going to do with them.I already have a LF rooster in the flock,I definately cannot cull them(they're so cute and cuddly) and I can't sell them or use them for breeding because I just noticed that they have some sort of genetic mutation where they only have four toes.I guess I'll bring them back to the man I got them off and try to get my money back or at least for him to take them.It angers me how dishonest some people can be as that was basically the first time I had ever seen a silkie so I couldn't have told if it was a hen or a roo but I know he has had silkies for years so he knew what he was selling me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by