Silkie hen owners, question about egg laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewToFarming, Aug 25, 2010.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I was wondering if you could tell me how often your silkie hens lay an egg per week. I have one broody & 1 not broody new silkie hen. I know the broody will not lay but was wondering how often to expect an egg from the non broody. The last egg I got was on Saturday. Also, I had seen my roo mate her this morning. How soon will her next eggs be fertile?

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. Jasper_899

Jasper_899 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2009
    Alaska
    My silkies are new layers but I get one egg from my newest layer everyday except maybe a few days where she takes a break so I would say 5 eggs a week sometimes 6. Then my older layer (10 months) Only lays about 3 times a week. No broodys yet I'm kind of hopeing none will go broody until spring, but who knows one of my buffs went broody and once one goes broody they all want to be broody. >.< I haven't seen my roo do the deed yet, but he is still young. I think he is 2 months younger then the hens I ordered but I love him <3 If your rooster is mating your hens then most likely you have fertile eggs now [​IMG]

3. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks for the reply! I was really hoping there would be an egg waiting for me when I got home from work tonight, but none were there! [​IMG] My girls are 1 1/2 years old but I just got them about 5 days ago. I know silkies don't lay as well as other breeds but it really seems like you have some good layers there. My one laid immediately after getting her home and she must have forgot where she laid it with being new because as soon as I showed her where it was, it was like "immediate broody" [​IMG] My roos are about 5 months old. I have 4 silkie roos. I am not sure if they were able to complete the task or if they are fertile. I guess I will find out if I get another egg and see what happens from that. . The 2 eggs my broody is sitting on now are most likely fertile from her previous home. Can't wait for chicks! These are my first eggs & hopefully will be my first hatched chicks!! [​IMG]

4. silkie lover

silkie lover New Egg

Jan 26, 2013
    my little Silkie Chicken (the hen) is 8 months old. and last i checked before she started sitting on the eggs there were 8 :) very exited first clutch, and they due more or less on Valentines day :)[​IMG]

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My hens usually average somewhere around 5-6 eggs a week. I've been quite surprised at how well they've been laying, but I imagine that will change come spring. If you just got them 5 days ago, they could still be a little stressed from their move (which will cause them to lay sporadically or not at all). Give them some time to adjust :)
    Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by