1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

silkie hen paralyzed???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Silkie Sue, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Silkie Sue

Silkie Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    Merry Christmas!!!!

My Silkie hen "Scotty" is now a house chicken because it seems that she has given up walking or standing.
    [​IMG]
    a few weeks ago i noticed that she was limping and it got progressively worse until she was dragging her one leg behind her even when she layed down.
    i brought her in so she would not be bothered by her boyfriend "Lucky" ( the one on the right lol)
    this is Lucky[​IMG]

she is eating and drinking fine and does not seem to be in any distress
    has anyone else had this happen?????

2. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    If you inspected her and found that she has no injuries that caused this, keep her in the house. I had a polish pullet in the house over the summer for similar issues. No injuries at all on her, it didn't present like Marek's or anything else. She was fine one day, stumbling the next, and then the following day laying on the ground not moving. We kept her in the house and it took her almost 2 months to recover. She slowly started using her legs again, then standing and stumbling and finally walking. She went back outside after we found her perched on the side of the tote she was in for the second time. It has been six months and and she is fine and hasn't done it since then. She recieved vitamins and extra special care while she was in the house.
    I have a theory on instances like this. Crested breeds with vaulted skulls are more susceptible to head and brain injuries due to the way their skulls are formed. My theory was that she was pecked, grabbed, or bumped in just the right location on her head and that was the cause. I will never know this for sure, and it is just a theory.

3. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    thankyou for your reply.
    i actually just gave her some vitamins and yes she is also getting special care.
    i'm glad your hen recovered and is doing well.
    my assessment on Scotty's condition (i am no vet) is that she mite have some spinal damage. it started as a limp, then the right leg dragging and now no control of either leg. i am giving her physical therapy but at this point is not helping.
    she seems to be enjoying all the special attention so as long as she is having fun i won't have to think about .....you know:(

4. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    I am so sorry to hear she is not feeling well. I hope she recovers quickly. [​IMG]

I agree about the vitamins. I like Polyvisol in the water and maybe some Red Cell mixed in her food or on some bread. Best luck with her!

5. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i just eyedroppered the polyvisol into her mouth, do you mean the Red Cell horse supplement?

6. rilly10

rilly10 Clover Field Farm

May 18, 2010
    Pottstown, PA
    Yes - the horse one. I just put a few drops on bread if they will eat it or mix it into thier food. I have heard it is good for brain-damaged birds, wry neck, and some top breeders even feed it as part of an every day ration. I hope it helps, at least it can not hurt! Please keep us posted on her! Best of luck!

7. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    i will get some and try it... thankyou for your help

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What is in Red Cell?

9. Silkie Sue

Jun 23, 2007
    Sarnia, Ontario
    isn't it a copper supplement?

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old is Scotty? could she have eaten anything spoiled or moldy, I just read that botulism and Mareks can cause Paralysis in chickens, Please don't take this as the answer but as a possibility.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by