silkie hen rejected chick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BantamBonzo, Jan 23, 2017.

1. BantamBonzo

BantamBonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2016
    Brunswick GA
    What would make a silkie bantum hen reject one of her own chicks? Poor little thing hatched today and she kept kicking it away from her. It's in a brooder in the house now with one of its siblings and seems perfectly finem

2. BantamBonzo

May 14, 2016
    Brunswick GA

[​IMG]

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Could be something wrong with it, it could be she doesn't recognize it as hers. Was she taking care of other chicks? Some hens aren't good moms, especially if it's their first time.

4. BantamBonzo

May 14, 2016
    Brunswick GA
    She is my best mama. Has five other babies she was mothering. We snagged one of the siblings to keep the little one company. Another chick that hatched last Thursday was dead this morning and that one i suspect was because it was albino.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is strange. My only guess is she didn't think it was hers. Did they all hatch at about the same time?

6. BantamBonzo

May 14, 2016
    Brunswick GA
    The little one she rejected was phatched this morning. All the others were in a 74 hour time table I have three other hens sitting so maybe she stole it from one of their nests.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She might have been past the point of acceptance. Most hens will hatch for 2 days before leaving the nest, a later hatchling might not be recognised as hers. Sometimes multiple broodies can cause some confusion and drama as well, but I'm pretty sure it was the time frame.

1 person likes this.
  8. BantamBonzo

May 14, 2016
    Brunswick GA
    Thank you for that

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by