Silkie hen seems better but still falling? any idea?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by southernpriss, Sep 14, 2011.

1. southernpriss

southernpriss Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Hello everyone,
    I really need help this is my first sick chicken experience and I am beyond stressed.
    She is a year and a half year old buff Silkie her name is Daisie Sue. A week and a half ago I started notice her stumbling losing her balance and falling on her side. She started staying inside the coop during the day. her vent became very dirty she seemed to have the symptoms of being egg bound so we started treating her for that when checked her vent and there was no egg.
    So I posted her symptoms on the forum and people suggested cocci so I began the antibotics in her water. Feeding her yogurt mixed with egg yolks and apple sauce and putting poly-vi-sol on her beak.
    She has lost so much weight her vent looks better but she is still falling I am doing all I know to do. today my husband noticed she was gurgling I checked her crop and it is extremely squishy I have been putting drops on her beak of water mixed with Apple Cider Vinegar and massaging her crop. she will no longer eat and has gone to the bathroom in 4 hours
    I have no idea if it a sour crop (her breath doesn't sick)
    I don't know what else to do please help me. what else could it be? what can I do for my princess?
    Thanks everyone.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  2. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

I dont know. Crossing my fingers.[​IMG]

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Oh...dear.... It sounds like you have done so much for her. The only other thing I can think of is some sort of worm. Have you wormed her? It may be that it's something you can't fix. I just lost one myself that I tried everything I could for. There's a time when you have to let them go - and you'll know when that is. Biggest hugs to both of you.

4. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Thank yall I am exhausted.... I got up last night and made sure she drank the ACV and massaged her crop... this morning about 5:45 it was much smaller and when I just got home from work it was back to normal... she is using the bathroom again it is still watery. and I took her outside to stretch her legs she was moving around better still falling but was able to pick herself up.
    the dewormer is the only thing we haven't tried so it is in her water now and I am putting drops on her beak to make sure she is drinking... and I have mashed up eggs in Yogurt and she is eating a little.... is there anymore suggestions?? please say a prayer from my sweet Daisie Sue...

5. maybejoey

maybejoey got chickenidous?

Hope the good progress continues.

6. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    That's great that her crop is back to normal. I've heard (on this site) differing opinions re: yogurt. Apparently chickens don't have the proper enzymes to break down dairy products...you might want to research it yourself and see what you think. Keep us posted on how she's doing.

7. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Daisie seems to be getting better day by day I still have her inside away from all the other chicks focusing on her gaining some weight back... but when I take her to stretch her legs she is still loosing her balance??? for instance when the wind blows she topples over?? could it be something else I haven't tried? thanks for you help!

8. southernpriss

Sep 6, 2011
    Hey everyone ok so Daisie seems back to normal eating well solid stool but she has NO BALANCE at all she falls on her side and can't get up she topples over face first I HAVE NO IDEA what else to do this has been going on for 2 weeks she is almost done with her antibotics she is gaining weight back but she can not keep her balance what else could it be?? what can I do? please help me please.
    again she is a 1.5 year old buff silkie
    thank you

9. klmclain1

Mar 14, 2011
    You might want to start a new thread....Makes me wonder if she had some sort of inner-ear infection that caused damage before being cured.... but it's only a guess...

10. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I've heard the antibiotics can goof up the crop. I don't think I'd give her vinegar. I'd empty her crop once or twice and put her on a liquid diet for a few days (veggie broth) and water with electrolytes (that means you need to separate her). I'd use a dropper and drop on top of the beak slowly and wait every drop or two for her to swallow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by