Silkie hen sitting on eggs how many can she sit on?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by derricknapril, Sep 18, 2009.

1. derricknapril

derricknapril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    I have a Silkie hen she is currently sitting on 4 eggs and she is continueing to lay. How many is safe to let her sit on, comfortably. Is there a limit?? Thanks

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Are you sure she's laying? Once they go broody they don't lay any more, but other hens will still lay under them. They can sit on 8 or so bantam eggs and do well with them.

3. derricknapril

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    Thanks, I thought it was her, is it ok if the other hens do continue to lay, Will she still sit on them. Also how can you tell if she is broody? She sits on them for a while then leaves and pecks around then comes back for a while. I am new at this if you can't tell, lol.

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    If she's guarding the nest from you (puffing up, growling) and is continuing to sit then she's broody. After about 3 days I wouldn't let the other hens lay under her anymore b/c after the first chicks start hatching she'll only sit another day or 2. If you continue to let others lay under her then the eggs will all be at different stages of development and will die when she stops sitting.

5. derricknapril

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    The 4 eggs that were layed were, Tues, weds, thurs, & fri. She has been sitting on them for a few hours each day but today she hasn't been sitting enoughe for me to tell which one it is. What should I do. I am going to Isolate her with the eggs but what if I take out the wrong one, or should I wait til she starts sitting longer again? I am not sure. 2 of the hens I have noticed being a little aggresive over others going to the eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by