Silkie hen sitting on eggs please help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by derricknapril, Sep 18, 2009.

1. derricknapril

derricknapril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    Hi, I am new at this and was wondering if anyone could help me? I have 4 white silkie hens and one white silkie roo. The hens have layed 4 eggs over the last 2 days. She has began to sit on them. Is there anything special I need to do? Do I need to turn them (like I would in an incubator)? Also if and when they do hatch I was told I needed to bring them inside. Is this true or do they need to stay with their mother. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    I would isolate Mama, using a large dog crate. Make sure she has room to get off the nest & stretch her legs, eat, poop, etc. You do NOT have to turn her eggs or take the chicks. This is the great thing about broodies. THEY DO ALL THE WORK!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    I've hatched 2 clutches of eggs under my obsessively broody Australorp. It's great - you just leave her alone! I would isolate her from the other hens. For one, she's going to be grumpy, and it's easier on everyone if she has some peace and quiet. Secondly, the other hens may still try to come in and lay eggs, which the hen will then roll up under her! If you can't isolate her, mark the eggs she's sitting on with a marker or a pen, so that you'll know which ones are "hers." After the chicks hatch, it's best to keep them in their own area if you can. The little guys are very susceptible to predators and injury when they're tiny. You can always bring them inside to a brooder, but ... well, that's just kind of sad for mama, isn't it? I've done it before, when we had a predator problem, and I'm probably projecting my maternal instincts onto a chicken, but ... yeah. Besides, mama hens are so cute with their chicks!

4. juliecox

juliecox Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Arlington, TX
    Oh - and make sure the broody girl is eating and drinking!

5. derricknapril

derricknapril Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    Oxford, GA
    Thank you all so much! Yeah they are all in the same coop. My hens are so hard to tell apart. I believe it is the same hen sitting on the eggs now. Will she still lay while she is sitting? Also if I Isolate her from the rooster and she still continues to lay will the eggs she lays be fertilized? How will I be able to tell? I know lots of questions, lol. Thank god I found this site.

6. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    No they do not lay while they are sitting, but if she is with others they may come lay and egg and then she rolls it under her and you will think its hers.
    You are best to isolate her. If too many eggs get laid and she takes them she could push the eggs you want her to sit one out from under her due to lack of space.
    If you don't or can't then take a zip tie and put it loosely around her leg so you know which one is setting on the eggs if she is off the nest.
    Many many times one goes broody others will follow.

7. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:I agree and: [​IMG] from sunny Florida!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by